Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Adventures with piccolo

Friday night was our final performance for the Gloria concert series with our orchestra. It was a busy week full with lots of late night rehearsals and concerts. Jaap's parents came into town for the concert and we enjoyed a nice dinner at Café Charlemagne in Onze Lieve Vrouweplein before the show.

To say I had an aesthetic experience playing the piccolo would be an exaggeration. All of my experiences playing the piccolo as an adult have been involuntarily. Undergrad, grad school, and now Maastricht. Flutes are a dime a dozen, not the same for piccolo players. Despite my issues with this instrument I really enjoyed making music this week. Who doesn't love playing quality literature in a 800 year old church? It was definitely a new experience for me. We performed at Sint-Janskerk in the Vrijthof. It's a red church and very unique looking.
September 2010
The Gloria concert series was a collaboration with our orchestra and the university's community choir. Each group performed one piece of their own and together we performed John Rutther's Gloria and a piece by a South African composer Peter Louis van Dijk, San Gloria, where I made my body percussion debut. What fun! It's the first time I've ever performed with the percussion section. That was a treat and it was nice to experience a performance from a different perspective and point of view. 

Despite my anxiety about playing the piccolo it turned out quite well. I take for granted how much less pressure there can be playing the flute. The piccolo is so exposed. There's no hiding your mistakes and you can't be afraid to take risks. It forces me to step out of my comfort zone. It goes along with the theme of moving to the Netherlands. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment