Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving in NY

Rockefeller Center
I love this city! Thanksgiving in New York was wonderful! I only wish we had more time to visit with friends and family. I'm lucky that we got to spend this American holiday in New York with loved ones. Who doesn't love New York this time of year? The city is already decorated with Christmas lights and decorations and while most people complain about the arrival of the Christmas season too early...I love it! Look at 5th Avenue all dressed up for the holidays. 
5th Avenue
Times Square
We have a lot to be thankful for this year including the newest addition to the family, baby Elin! She's so cute and little. It was great to cuddle, hug, and spend time with her. We had lunch with Mom, Lee, and baby E on Friday and enjoyed some retail therapy afterwards. My heart started racing while walking through Target. I know, it's pathetic. We were prepared to drop some big bucks on some TV DVD sets, but were disappointed by the selection. Don't worry. All was remedied last week when Jaap discovered Amazon's sales online. They'll be shipped to my parents house in a few days and when my parents come to visit in March they'll bring the goods. A long wait, but worth it. :)
Meeting Elin for the first time
My cuties
Saturday we drove upstate for the afternoon to visit members of the 'Catskill clan' who were in town. It was great to see everybody. Unfortunately, Jaap and I will miss the annual Secret Santa dinner, but we will be back for next year's festivities with the whole group! Thanks to Erin for hosting!
My girls
Sunday dinner with the Dalrymples
We spent part of the week in New York City with family and friends. Of course there had to be a stop at the Russian Vodka Room for a meet-up with friends. They have the most amazing cosmopolitans! Lekker!
Tuesday visit with Lee, Michael, Joey & E
We spent Wednesday in the city with Mom and Pop. We had lunch in the village at Café Espanol for some paella and of course sangria. Pop claims his sangria is just as good. Not so sure about that one.
Pop enjoying sangria at Café Espanol
Turkey day games
Another Pardo family Thanksgiving in Queens was a success complete with yelling, screaming, applause, speeches, games, and of course delicious food. I must say, this year's food was top notch and in my opinion better than previous years. After the mashed potato disaster of 2004, Shannon and I have come to the rescue with quality potatoes. Pop's potatoes of '04 were similar to eating paste so we pride ourselves in our ability to make this traditional Thanksgiving side dish. *Please note: My father's a great cook, but potatoes are not his thing. Love you Pops! And special thanks to Mom, Pop and Titi Vivian for some delicious fare.
Shannon's 7th Thanksgiving with the family
Here we are in action. 
Here are some clips from Thanksgiving 2010. Uncle Angel gave a nice Thanksgiving speech this year that gradually evolved into a round of applause. I hope your family is as crazy as ours. 


Games after turkey, a Pardo tradition
Decorating the house
It's a Pardo family tradition (along with the Riveras) to chop down the Christmas tree the weekend following Thanksgiving. It snowed this day. Too bad you can't see it in the pictures.  
Cutting down the Christmas tree 2010
The finished product
It was a great trip, but I'm happy to be back in Maastricht. We arrived back in the Netherlands to snow! Maastricht looks beautiful covered in white. I hope it stays like this and we get even more. Thanksgiving has past and now I get to experience my first Sinterklaas in the Netherlands! I am thankful for so many things this year. My nephew Joey said it best at Thanksgiving dinner, "I'm thankful for my friends, family, and my new baby sister." Me too!
Good-byes with Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment